Jun 22, 2014

RWBY, and how to have mixed feelings in less than six minutes



Review #47 – Free Web Series

RWBY, and how to have mixed feelings in less than six minutes




Okay, first of all, let’s introduce this.
RWBY (pronounced “Ruby”) is a new ongoing series, made by Rooster Teeth with the direction of MontyOum (the guy that made Red vs.Blue, maybe that rings a bell for all the Halo lovers out there).

This series revolves around four girls: Ruby, Weiss, Blake and Yang, also known as Red, White, Black and Yellow.

The story takes place in a world called Remnant that is filled with ugly creatures called Grimm’s. The people of Remnant discovered a mysterious element called Dust which they use to fight against these monsters. Dust is used to power magical abilities and weapons, and those who use these abilities to battle the Grimm are known as Huntsmen or Huntresses.

Each girl has her own unique weapon and powers, and together they form the RWBY team at Beacon Academy, where they are being trained to become Huntresses.  

 

I have to say that Rooster Teeth did a damn fine job with the characters’ presentations, releasing one video clip for each of the girls with AWESOME music.

Because of that, the first thing that caught my attention about RWBY was the music, only then the fight scenes hit me. I must have a few things I don’t like about RWBY, but the fight scenes are definitely NOT one of those things. I’m gonna dare and say that’s the best feature on the series, because they are so well choreographed, that you almost feel like in a video game. It’s really fluid and exciting.





Perhaps the best aspect of the fight choreography is how visually distinct each character's style is. This comes largely from the fact that each character has a unique, imaginative weapon. Ruby has a gun-scythe, Weiss a magical sword, Blake a gun-whip, and Yang a pair of explosive gauntlets.



Finally, my verdict;

First, the disappointment. RWBY characters are very childish and not well developed. They are still pretty raw. And the animation leaves a lot to desire when the girls are not fighting.

Then, the little ray of hope. RWBY is being developed, and the show improves with every episode, it really does. Also, it hits you with “awesome” a lot.

Come on, join the RWBY team! View online, no download required!

- Emma


External Link: http://roosterteeth.com/home.php (Homepage)


(This link opens directly on the first trailer; you can access the rest of the videos below that)

2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing.

    I'll admit, I'm not the biggest anime fan (I mainly stick to Watanabe and Miyazaki), but I'm on my way to check this series out. I really like Rooster Teeth (and naturally, Halo) and look forward to seeing this series progress.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it isn't my style either. I wouldn't have discovered it if Emma hadn't told me.

    Now I'm glad she did. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete