Aug 12, 2013

Madness, Psychological Horror Rogue-like


Review #3 - Free Video Game

Madness, Psychological Horror Rogue-like

This is a very good game but there something I’ve to ask you first: Do you know what a Rogue-like is? If you do, skip the next part. If you don’t, please read it.

What is a Roguelike?

A Roguelike is usually described as a free turn-based computer game with a strong focus on intricate gameplay and replayability, and an abstract world representation using ASCII-based display, as opposed to 3D graphics. Of course, as with any genre, there are deviations from the norm.
Roguelikes allow the player an indefinite amount of time in which to make a move, making gameplay comparable more to chess than to reflex-based games like first-person shooters. Since graphics are limited (if not completely shunned), the player's imagination must come into play - gameplay is more like reading a book than watching a movie.
Of course, the best way to understand what Roguelikes are is to download and play one.”

Madness puts you in the shoes of an adventurer inside an undefined dungeon. Your goal? Reach the tenth level and face the Dungeon Master. With this simple set up Madness hides the fact that it’s anything but simple.


Inside the dungeon, alone, surrounded by monster and darkness, your mind will start to slip away from reality. The longer you stay inside the dungeon, the crazier you’ll get. And the harder it’ll be to distinguish reality from hallucinations. Try to keep everything together and use your light sources wisely if you want to succeed.

A nice, very immersive game to play during a coffebreak. (A good concept to add to my “Babbling at the Counter” about Replayability, read more here http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Coffeebreak_roguelike)

- The Storeman

Disclaimer: I didn’t upload any of the content in the following link. I have downloaded and checked it as I always do. I have even executed it in my own computer and did not experience any kind of problems. But I can’t ensure that it is free of viruses and/or malware that my anti-virus programs couldn’t find. That’s the author’s responsibility.



(I'm sorry this post was delayed, I've been having problems with my internet connection)

No comments:

Post a Comment