Aug 22, 2013

Why would someone do this?



Babbling at the Counter #04.5 – Blogging

Why would someone do this?

Well, I'm sitting here, staring at the screen trying to find something to talk about (since last post was a bit too short for my taste) when it hits me. A nice idea for a post. What if I talked about posting? No, don't make that face, I've got something interesting to say, believe me.
It took me a lot of time to work up the nerve to start this blog. I was full of doubt, thinking "why would anyone want to read what I can write? It's not like I'm a brilliant man with lots of ideas. I'll just babble about boring things that nobody but me cares about".
When I finally decided to do it, everything changed. I said to myself "You are not forcing anyone to read it; if no one likes your blog, they'll just ignore it and go on with their lives". So I started to write. And the more I wrote, the easier it got. I had a deadline, but unlike the ones imposed by others (university and job), this was one I had chosen, and one that I adhered to just because I wanted. It was great to do something just for the hell of it.
Now, I realize I stopped talking about blogging a while ago. I'm talking about those projects that made this project, the Warehouse, possible. Those designers that worked on games just because; and then released them to the world.
It's not about responsibility, or fame or money. At least it's not for me, and I think those designers would agree with that. If you have something to give, just do it. Even if only one person in the whole wide world finds it useful, nevertheless it was time well spent, don't you think?
- The Storeman

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree. Within the past few days, I began my first foray into blogging, and I'm still in that nervous, unsure state. I find myself editing old posts more than posting new ones.

    Sharing one's own creation, even if it's "just" words and thoughts, is something that requires confidence, and in my experience, the only way to gain that is share your creations, and brace for the good and bad.

    Consequently, you've got a great blog here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it means a lot. I completely get what you mean, the first posts are the toughest ones, or at least they were for me.

      You'll see, the more you blog, the more you'll enjoy it. What's the point of having so many ideas if you don't share them?

      Delete