Oct 22, 2013

Why do we play?



Babbling at the Counter #13 – Pen and Paper

Why do we play?

I’m not going to answer that. I can’t. I can tell you why “I” play, maybe even why some of my friends do, but not why you do. Now, ask yourselves: Can you tell ME why YOU play?

Once, a friend asked my why I did get up in the morning. Even though I wouldn’t give the same answer today, coming up with that answer was really fun. Roleplaying, especially if you are the GM, requires a lot of effort. There must be a very good reason why you do it, don’t you think?

You are going to get tired sometimes. You are going to get angry with another player. You are going to get bored on more than one session. But there is a reason why you play. Find it, and keep it in mind. Make sure you get what you want of the game. And if you don’t, don’t be too afraid to go looking for it. Maybe your group can try something new. Maybe you need a new group. Your fun is up to you.

Just sitting down for a while and thinking about it can be fun, too. So ask yourselves: Why do you play?

- The Storeman

No comments:

Post a Comment